Vineland Education Association June 10, 2015
Summary of Contract Changes Up for Ratification
- Duration: 3 years, July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2018
- Article 3 – Grievance Procedure (editorial changes):
- Revise 3.C.3(b):
If a grievance affects a group or class of employees, the Association may submit such grievance in writing to the Superintendent directly and the processing of such grievance shall be commenced at Level Two. (was Level 3; corrects contradictory language, no substantive change)
- Revise 3.C.5(a):
The parties will secure the services of an arbitrator, through the Public Employee Relations Commission, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Commission.
(replaces obsolete reference to American Arbitration Association)
- Article 9 – Workday
- Teachers in grades 9-12 may, at the sole discretion of the Board, through the superintendent…be assigned to teach up to, but not exceeding six instruction class periods within an EIGHT (was nine) period day. (no changes for Dept. Chairs)
- Teachers assigned to grades 9-12 shall be granted five (5) conference/prep. periods per week of FORTY-FIVE (was forty) minutes daily.
- Teachers in grades K-8 (was K-4) shall be granted five conference/prep. periods per week of forty (40) continuous minutes daily.
- Lunch: Such duty free lunch periods shall be 40 minutes in grades 6-8 (was 5-12) and 45 minutes in grades K-5 and grades 9-12. (9-12 was 40)
- Pre-School workload committee language deleted. (Committee completed its work.)
- Article 11 – Salaries
- 5% increase in total membership salary base cost in each year. (7.5% over 3 years)
- Distribution: increment plus equal dollar distribution. Each member moves to the next salary step in each year. Extra monies divided equally among all members and placed on each step in equal amounts (Guide improvement). THERE IS NO STEP FREEZE – MEMBERS MOVE TO NEXT STEP EACH YEAR.
- See salary guides distributed separately to calculate your individual increase.
- Degree Advancement:
- Adjustment to the next training level on the salary guide shall be subject to the following timelines:
- Transcripts submitted by the teacher no later than August 1 will result in horizontal salary guide movement in September.
- Transcripts submitted by the teacher no later than January 1 will result in horizontal movement in February.
- Article 12 – Salaries/Vacations – Secretaries
- Same 2.5% over each year. Distribution: same as above, increment plus equal dollar.
- All secretaries move to next step each year. Extra money divided equally among all members and placed on each salary step (guide improvement).
- Job Classification Chart amended to delete old numerical classifications (chart now lists all civil service titles and the guide placement for both 10 and 12 month employees).
- Promotional language – same; but example is updated with current years and salary amounts.
- Off Guide Secretaries (receive same guide improvement raise as each step; no increment)
- Article 23 – Insurance Protection
- Effective July 1, 2015 the Aetna 15 (or equivalent) becomes the base plan.
- Employees who elect to enroll in a more expensive plan must pay the difference between the premium costs for Aetna 15 (or equivalent) and the more expensive plan.
- Waiver of Insurance Payment: FOR SPOUSES WHO BOTH WORK FOR Vineland Public Schools
- Stays the same for 2015-16 (up to 25% of premium or $5,000, whichever is less)
- 2016-2017: waiver is reduced to 12.5% of premium or $2,500, whichever is less)
- 2017-2018: waiver is eliminated (ONLY FOR SPOUSES/CIVIL UINONS WHO BOTH WORK IN VPS)
- Prescription Plan: Effective July 1, 2016 (yr. 2 of contract) prescription co-pays increase to $25 name brand and $15 generic. (from $20/$10)
- Article 32 – Miscellaneous
- Obsolete language referencing VEA’s past Unfair Labor Practice Charge from last contract negotiations deleted.
- Deletes obsolete reference to Pre-School Committee
- Article 33 – Duration
- Begins July 1, 2015
- Expires June 30, 2018